In baking, you realize some recipes call for All purpose flour while some calls for Cake flour and you wonder why.
In my location, the Cake flour is scarce and what we easily get In the local market is the All purpose flour. So, how do I create my Cake flour?
Cake flour is required when you need to make soft, light, fluffy cakes. For Baked items like Bread, pancake, muffins, the All purpose flour is best.
All flours are made from wheat but the All purpose has more protein of about 10-13 percent and creates more gluten.
The Cake flour has less protein of about 8-9 percents and contains less gluten.
So if you have an All purpose flour and you need a Cake Flour. Follow the recipe below:
In a dry measuring Cup,
- Measure a Cup of All Purpose flour(set aside)
- Measure 2 Tbs of Cornflour
- Remove 2 Tbs from All purpose flour
- Replace with the 2Tbs of Cornflour
- Mix the two together with a wire whisk then sift flour to distribute the corn flour evenly. The corn flour prevents gluten from forming.
Now having a Cake flour and you need All purpose flour.
- Measure 1 cup of All purpose flour plus 2 Tbs of Cake flour.
- Mix together. Addition of this will give you a cup of flour for your recipe.
Have questions or tips?
Please leave a comment below.